Thursday, July 28, 2011

REAL PEOPLE REAL ANSWERS EDITION 12

A DAY IN THE LIFE
“Living Naturally You”
Real People Real Answers
 What is your name?

 Leola Anifowoshe


How old are you?

10 more than 3 times


Where are you from?

 I'm from Houston, Texas


What is your occupation?

 I am the founder of Nzuri Liquid Hair Vitamins - Hair Care From Within

How would you describe yourself?

 I am a very outgoing, fun loving person. I love meeting new people and inspiring them as well. I also like playing mad scientist and developing new products that are innovative and cutting edge with nutrition and wellness. I also love kids. I am the mother of 6 children 5 still at home and I like to work with all of them in business and in fun.
Ms Anifowoshe and her son


When did you first decide to go natural?

 I first decided to become natural in early 2008 after I began doing research for the Nzuri Elixir. It was through my research on what causes our hair to grow that I also discovered what was harmful. When I realized the severity of what we were putting in our hair and digesting through our skin it was alarming. However, since I created the worlds first natural liquid hair vitamin, I kept my relaxed hair on longer than I wanted to. I was experimenting with the length checks if you will. I watched my hair grow from just past my ear to just 1 inch shy of my bra strap in 24 months. That was fascinating to me because I am a Black woman who had serious challenges with hair growth. That was a major milestone to grow my hair to that length and I had a real challenge cutting it off. However, there came a time when the rubber met the road. Although I had eased up on the relaxers the new growth was over taking the relaxed hair and we all know what that looks like.

In addition to the two textures not getting along, I also was overwhelmed with the desire just to meet my natural hair. I say Meet my hair because as you may know that many African American women's hair is foreign to them. So I had to relearn my hair. When I did the big chop in February of this year. I actually did a "Welcome Ceremony" for my hair and welcomed it into my world. At this point I was more than convinced that the Nzuri Elixir would grow my hair as long as I wanted I had no reservations of cutting it and I realized there was no need to keep it because the photos would prove the length it had attained. I'm excited about how my hair has progressed just since February.


If there were one word to describe yourself what would it be?

 Confident or maybe even Elegant. I love Elegant.

Who are some of the people that inspire you most?

 Oprah inspires me because she makes her own rules. She is a pioneer and a visionary. Maya Angelou. She exuberates such strength and character. Diana Ross. She was not afraid to be a lady even when Society did not recognize the Black woman as the Regal Beauty She is. She also had her 5 kids while she maintained her career. Too many people hold off on having their children and look around and realize their child bearing years are over but the career could have waited or at least paused while we co-created. Dianne Carol, Joyce Meyer, a female preacher who defied all odds. I love women of strength who go against the status quo and do what God InSPRITation has called them to do.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

When I grow up I want to be whatever it is that God wants me to be when I get there. However, when I leave this Plane called Earth, I want to be remembered as the Lady who helped make a difference in the quality of people's lives. I try to do that through my foundation Shoes4School, through our beauty pageant Little Miss "Happy" Headed and through our Hair Showcase The Nzuri Natural Hair, Health and Beauty Showcase which is Texas' largest natural hair show; through our Sorority, The World Natural Hair Sorority which is a spin off from the natural hair society a non profit organization started in late 2009 to educate consumers on attaining healthy hair and lifestyles. The Natural Hair Sorority is on facebook and it is looking for 10K naturals. The number 10K is significant I believe because if you are one of the first 10K you will always be able to wear our signature shirt. After we reach 10K that color will change and retire. You can find us on fb at www.facebook.com/naturalhairsorority



                                                                         

What advice would you give to others who wanted to go natural or live a more natural based lifestyle? 

If you want to go natural, evaluate your reasons why and then just do it. If you're doing it just because your friend did it that may not be the right course of action. However, if you do it because you feel it in your Spirit it is time then go for it. Also, if I could do it all over again, I probably would not have chopped off my 14 inch hair. I would have just gotten the Sister Locs. I think they are so regal, beautiful, sophisticated and you do not have to cut off all of the relaxed hair right away. I strongly suggest them to women who do not want to do a big chop. Also, consider what you are putting in your body as well as what you are putting on the outside of your body. Many people do not approach healthy hair from the inside and out. But just think the inside is the beginning, the outside is the manifestation of what is on the inside.

What is your favorite quote?

 My favorite quote is by Maya Angelou but not verbatim "In the end of the day, people will not remember what you said or what you did but they will remember how you made them feel". Another one is by Marcus Garvey "Get the kinks out of your brain before getting them out of your head". These are not verbatim but close enough. And this quote is by yours truly "If you can see it, then you can be it!"


Stay Blessed and Encouraged Naturals
Leola Anifowoshe
Founder of Nzuri Natural Hair Care and the Natural Hair Sorority

BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR A VERY SPECIAL GIVEAWAY HEADED BY MS ANIFOWOSHE AND KYLES NATURAL IN MID AUGUST 2011 AND MAKE SURE YOU BE A PART OF HER NATURAL HAIR SORORITY www.facebook.com/naturalhairsorority

No comments:

Post a Comment